About our church
We are a small part of the global United Methodist Church, and are located in the historic red brick church at 30 Amity Street in the downtown village of Spencerport, New York.
- We welcome everyone
- Nursery is available during worship
- Parking is available in the community parking lot near the canal
Learn more about our worship times, nursery policies and various parking facilities on our Worship page.
Check out our Facebook Page for more about our church!
what we believe in
Our global mission
The United Methodist Church is a global denomination that opens hearts, opens minds and opens doors through active engagement with our world.
The mission of The United Methodist Church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
John Wesley and the early Methodists placed primary emphasis on Christian living, on putting faith and love into action.
This emphasis on what Wesley referred to as "practical divinity" has continued to be a hallmark of United Methodism today.
Local churches provide the most significant arena through which disciple-making occurs.
Upper NY Vision Statement
"To live the gospel of Jesus Christ and to be God's love with our neighbors in all places." - Our Upper New York Annual Conference Vision Statement.
The primary tasks of the Upper NY Annual Conference are to:
Recruit, train, equip and deploy transformational clergy and lay leadership so that our congregations will joyfully and faithfully live out the vision of UNY.
Resource our local churches with effective tools and practices for effective disciple-making in the 21st century, and re-forming the church for vitality, relevance and fruitfulness.
Nurture a planting culture where people are recognizing the movement of the Spirit in their neighborhoods to plant new communities of faith; and, provide the training, support and resources needed for people to plant new, sustainable communities of faith.
Align resources to support the purpose of the annual conference and the mission of the local church and implement a system of accountability for mission and ministry at all levels.
Communicate how we share a common mission as United Methodist Christians in the 21st century.
The first sermon preached West of the Genesee River was delivered in 1807 by the Reverend Peter Van Nest, an itinerant minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. This was in the present Town of Ogden. This settlement was so small and so far to the next settlement, it was impossible to set up a church, so circuit riders were created and served this area. In 1811 the First Society was formed by Loring Grant which was the start of the Ogden Circuit. These services took place in resident's homes and in area schools.
In 1838 the Society of Spencerport built their first meeting house on the Southwest corner of Canal Street and Main Street. This stone building was their first church. In 1868, as Methodism grew in Spencerport, the society's church needed repairs. It was decided to build a new church. With Reverend C.C. Wilbur as their pastor the Society of Spencerport built their church on todays site at 30 Amity Street. The building was completed in 1871.
In 1909 church services were held in the chapel. It was this year that the church pipe organ was installed costing $1,930. Andrew Carnegie paid $750 towards the cost. Also a curved altar rail and curved pews were installed. The interior was painted and new carpeting was laid. Reverend Peter Thompson was the preacher at Spencerport United Methodist Church from 1908 to 1913. He preached the dedication sermon on January 2, 1910.
Reverend Thompson's daughter was Dorothy Thompson, a world renowned writer who was married to an equally renowned author, Sinclair Lewis.